Cafes | Bee's Knees Baking Co.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Bee's Knees Baking Co., Kips Bay, NYC.

I actually stumbled upon this place, because some of my friends from Baruch College visit here often, seeing as it's nearby, and there's also free wifi. I was waiting for one of them to get out of school, just to hang out for a little while, and ended up here as I was walking around.

Although majority of the customers in this location are students working (or trying to work) on their laptops, I found that it was still possible for someone like me, who's casually walking in just to sit down and relax, to find a space to fit in. It's a cute little place to visit, student or not, and it's sort of like a hideaway from the fast-paced sidewalk that, sometimes, gets a little overwhelming.

See more photos and read more about my experience, after the jump!


You'll notice, from the photo above, that this location is a one-hallway type of space, and you can only imagine what it'd look like during any type of rush. But when it's not so hectic, it's easily maneuverable and you can walk around just fine.

When I visited, the staff was so nice, it was surprising. I know that it's "expected" in the service industry, but New York City is not one of the nicest places out there. It was easy for the person on bar to have a pleasant, casual conversation, granted that it wasn't busy. But, he was so into the conversation that as he was pouring my cappuccino, he was distracted and could not finish off the latte art, leaving my cup with these white semi-circles. I'm very glad that he was so nice, but do not let that take away from the quality of your work.

For the sake of the first photo in this post, I went ahead and took a spoon to cut through the middle of the white semi-circles, in an attempt to save the design and create the "latte heart" effect. It kind of worked, ish; you can be the judge of that.

Another thing that I liked, was that there was continuity in their whole interior design and the vibe that they wanted to give off. Pretty much everything was centered around dark wood, and warm, earthy tones. The orange plates were a really nice touch as well, because I've never really seen it before.

Although, I only had a cup of coffee, I definitely want to come back and try the pastries and cakes that they offer, because I feel like my visit there is not complete until I try them. Keep being warm and welcoming, because people are drawn to that, especially in a city culture that doesn't focus on that aspect of humanity.

For more information, visit their website: http://bees-knees-baking-co.myshopify.com/

-

Photos by Kyle.

x

Post a Comment