#WWIM11 - #BushwickMeet

Monday, March 23, 2015




Bushwick, Brooklyn, NYC.

Words cannot describe yesterday's emotional rollercoaster of a day. If you follow me on Instagram (@cafechild), you'll know what I'm talking about. I got to experience things I never thought I'd experience, and was thrust into situations where I had to get out of my comfort zone in order to grow as a person. Unlike the meetup on Saturday, I came to this one alone, and it was seriously so terrifying. But as the day progressed, it got immensely better and getting to Bushwick was worth all of the anxiety and fear from earlier on in the day.

Thank you so so much to @acupofkeen, @emptyreyes, and @canahtam for hosting such a wonderful meet with this community of creatives! If you're not already, follow them on Instagram because they're all wonderful people.

Hear more about my experience, and see more photos after the jump!

 photo IMG_1863_zpsddaafp0k.jpg

Intelligentsia Coffee, Herald Square, NYC.

My day started off early, because I ended up going to a coffee meetup for Instagrammers after my friend, Keen, invited me. The group wasn't too big, but for some reason my social anxiety reached an all-time high during majority of it. Thank goodness for Keen, because if she wasn't there I don't know what I would've done. I had thought about leaving early, since I was feeling so uncomfortable, but I wanted to tough it out because I actually woke up and came out all this way. I think what got to me was just that a lot of people knew eachother, and I was just this random person that showed up, not knowing if I'd fit in or not. My close friends know that I don't do well in groups larger than 3 or 4, so I was kind of waiting to see if we'd end up splitting off. Although we didn't, I was able to meet a few of Keen's friends and I felt comfortable talking with them! After that, it helped motivate me to follow through with going to the Bushwick Meet.

 photo 95223d37-deac-4263-a20f-cb9837852421_zpsvzrr5dez.jpg

Bushwick Collective, Brooklyn, NYC.

After the coffee meet, I tagged along with a group of people from there and we made our way to the Bushwick Meet. As someone who lives in Queens, I don't venture out to Brooklyn often, so this was a nice change of scenery, and my goodness I really liked it. I was living for so many of the murals and pieces of art that were around the collective. We started off the meet by wandering around and just taking a lot of photos, exploring the area. After taking a group photo, we moved on and started heading towards the abandoned train tracks. It was a little scary, seeing as there was a large body of water underneath a good portion of the tracks, and not that much preventing us from falling off. But that obviously didn't stop any of us. From there, everyone was free to use the area and create art, whether through photos, video, or whatever other type of media. We also got to play with some smoke bombs too!

I experienced so much, and broadened my horizons at this Instameet, but most importantly, I got to meet some amazing people, and make some new friends! Coming out of it, I'm looking at life through a different lens now, and feel so motivated to live my life as the creative I am. I love this community, and am so happy I get to share this experience with all of my readers as well! <3

Here are a few more photos from the meet!

 photo e5203d11-1cab-4451-93bb-3c9195c69325_zpsxbesahik.jpg

 photo 1f86fda2-486a-45e5-87b5-e4658c6504c4_zpsf9b9iepa.jpg

Photo of Kyle by Kate Kim (@kaitkeem), the rest by Kyle.

x

Post a Comment