#WWIM11 - West Village

Saturday, March 21, 2015

 photo IMG_1806_zps7hfgo3or.jpg

Chalait, West Village, NYC.

Today I woke up at an absurd time, for an app. But not just any app, the app that's been a major influence in social media, and the app that we're always on, majority of the day. And I woke up to meet and hang out with some people that are a part of this app's community.

Overtime, Instagram has become more than just a social media app to me. It's become this beautiful place where you get to grow as a person, not just by yourself, but with other people as well, as a community. It's become this personal space for me to go back to, to relive the great moments I've had whenever I'm feeling down, or to relearn things I've forgotten about within my captions. I've been meeting more people, and making valuable friendships I never thought I'd make, all because of this wonderful app.

The majority of this meetup consisted of walking around a bit of the West Village, exploring, taking photos, and sometimes pretending to be tourists, all while networking and just talking casually with eachother. It was almost as if distant relatives all gathered together, and got the opportunity to spend time together and reconnect. I also realized that this type of setting was a lot more intimate than usual InstaMeets. But it was a great preparation, especially since I'm going to another InstaMeet tomorrow as well, where I'm anticipating it to be full of people. Everywhere. As someone who has serious social anxiety, just the idea of it is scaring the living hell out of me. But at the end of the day, I have to remind myself that everyone has gathered for one sole reason: to connect, and to experience what this community is like.

If you aren't following me already, you can head over to @cafechild on Instagram and do so! And to see some more photos of the meetup, search the hashtag #WWIM11WestVillage! I hope to see some of you guys at tomorrow's meetup in Bushwick; come along if you can!

(WWIM11 - World Wide InstaMeet 11).

Photo by Kyle.

x

Post a Comment